Three of the top four European leagues already have a champion for the season but there’s still a lot to look forward to in the last stages of the 2017-18 campaign. Arsene Wenger will be watching his last match in charge of Arsenal as the Gunners travel to Huddersfield on Sunday. Chelsea needs to defeat Newcastle away from home and hope that Liverpool loses to Brighton Hove Albion in order to leap into the Champions League qualification spot.
Serie A still doesn’t have a winner. Juventus can win it this weekend in their game against Roma; that won’t be easy as Roma is fighting to clinch Champions League qualification.
Let’s go over this upcoming weekend from the most worn field number to the most worn keeper’s number.
10. Hoffenheim is playing host to Borussia Dortumd on Saturday. Both sides are looking to seal their Champions League spot. Hoffenheim haven’t defeated BVB in 10 outings and lost their last match to Stuttgart. One Hoffenheim striker to keep an eye on is Serge Gnabry. Gnabry already netted three times this month and will be looking for his 10th league goal of the season.
Borussia also lost their last match, falling to Mainz last weekend. Last time the two sides played, USA number 10 Christian Pulisic netted a late winner for BVB.
9. Real Madrid snapped a 9-game domestic non-losing run as they lost to Sevilla on Wednesday. The club will look to bounce back in a home game versus Celta Vigo. The last team Celta beat was Sevilla back in early March. Last time the two sides met at the Santiago Bernabeu, Celta stunned Madrid with a 2-1 victory in the Copa del Rey, thanks to their number 19 Johnny Castro, who’s fit to play this weekend.
8. Still in Spain, Sevilla’s next game in their race to the last Europa League spot is against Real Betis. 8 goals were scored in this fixture as Betis downed Sevilla 5-3. However prior to that game, Beticos didn’t defeat Los Rojiblancos in 8 outings.
Sevilla star striker Ben Yedder will be looking for his 8th La Liga goal of the season. As for Betis, Sergio Leon is the club’s player to watch as he leads them in scoring in all competitions.
7. Lazio and Roma are fighting for the last two qualification spots in Italy but Inter Milan is still in the picture. Crotone is fighting Udinese and Cagliari to remain in the top flight. The two will meet this weekend at Stadio Ezio Scida, Crotone’s home field. Crotone downed Lazio in the two team’s only encounter there on Nov. 23rd, 2017. However Walter Zenga’s men lost their last match to Chievo.
Meanwhile Lazio drew their last game with 7th placed Atalanta.
6. Arsene Wenger will coach Arsenal for the last time in an away game versus 16th placed Huddersfield Town on Sunday. Wenger has been in charge of the Gunners since 1996. The French coach will lead Arsenal to 6th place in his last season with them.
5. Liverpool will look to ensure their place in the Champions League next season over 5th placed Chelsea with a win over Brighton. The Reds haven’t lost to Brighton in 5 outings. Last time Liverpool played Albion they scored 5 goals and conceded one goal. Of course, if they lost to Brighton, the Reds could just beat Real Madrid in the Champions League Final to ensure their spot in the tournament next year.
4. Juventus can win the Serie this weekend with a victory over Roma away from home at the Stadio Olimpico. Juve blanked Milan 4-0 in their last outing to win 4 straight Coppa Italia titles. Roma, who are looking to ensure their Champions League qualification spot, will be looking for a 4th straight win.
Juve hasn’t downed Roma at the Stadio Olimpico since 2014.
3. Chelsea will fight to rack all 3 points versus Newcastle to give themselves hope of mounting to the Champions League qualification spot. Chelsea is on a 3 match winning run versus Newcastle but another win wouldn’t be enough to play Champions League football next season. Brighton also has to defeat Liverpool for the Blues to jump up in the table—something that only happened once in the history of the Premier League.
2. Serie A 2nd placed team Napoli needs to win their last 2 games, score a lot of goals, and need Juve to lose to keep their chance of winning the title alive. The club is on a 2-match non-winning run, falling to Fiorentina and tying with Torino 2-2. Napoli’s opponent this weekend is Sampdoria, a team they conquered 3-2 last time they faced them.
1. La Liga champions Barcelona will play Levante this weekend with the hope of staying perfect in domestic action this season. Levante has never got the best of Barca in 21 matches. Barca overpowered Villarreal 5-1 in their last outing. Levante is on a promising four-match winning streak, in which they edged Sevilla 2-1.