Soccer fans don’t count the days before the holidays, we count down the top stories from the elite European leagues. Last weekend, Manchester City extended their record winning run to 16 games. Mohamed Salah became the second fastest player to score 20 goals for Liverpool. Serie A had another week of shocking results. And an American teenager netted a beautiful 89th minute winner for Borussia. Daily Soccer Digest writer Onz Chery brings you another exclusive must-read recap of European soccer in this unique column. Get the numbers ready, let the countdown begin:
10. Take a moment and process this: Paris Saint Germain’s attacking trio has scored more than 10 goals than 10 other teams in Ligue 1 (15 teams to be exact). The attackers were all on target against Rennes on Saturday in a 4-1 win. Number 10 Neymar shined with two goals and two assists while Kylian Mbappe and Edinson Cavani scored one each. The three PSG strikers’ goal tally amounts to 36.
9. Nineteen-year-old Christian Pulisic scored an eighty-ninth minute game-winning goal for Borussia Dortmund in a 2-1 win over Hoffenheim on Saturday. Pulisic netted the winner in elegant fashion as he flicked Shinji Kagawa’s inch perfect through ball away from keeper Oliver Baumann with his right foot then hit the ball in midair in the net with his left. Here’s the best part: he pushed the club’s current top scorer, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, down to go celebrate.
8. Valencia, a team that was glowing in Spain just last month, lost to eighth place Eibar 2-1. Valencia has now lost two matches this month after going unbeaten the first four months of the domestic season, which included draws with Barcelona and Real Madrid. Los Che’s other loss was inflicted to them by ninth place Getafe.
7. Manchester City is undefeated in the league after playing Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool. City have the most goals scored and the least amount of goals scored against in the league. Their number seventeen, Kevin de Brune, is arguably the best player in the PL right now. De Bruyne netted in the club’s 4-1 win over Tottenham, number seven Raheem Sterling scored a brace in that game and Ilkay Gundogan netted the other goal.
6. Fernando Torres’ scored his first La Liga goal in six months to give Atletico Madrid their sixth league-win of the season, a 1-0 victory over Deportivo Alaves. Atletico is now six points behind league leaders Barcelona in second place.
5. Thomas Muller broke a five-game goalless drought to grant Bayern Munich their fifth consecutive win as the club slimmed by Stuttgart 1-0 on Saturday. Keeper Sven Ulriech, who played for Stuttgart, saved Chadrac Akalo’s 94th minute penalty to secure Bayern’s win.
4. Manchester City head coach Pep Guardiola won his fourth Premier League Manager of the Month of award. The Spaniard won the accolade for the month of November, October, September and February. According to The Guardian, the club wants to offer Guardiola an improved four-year deal contract worth 20 million pounds a season in the summer, which will make him the highest paid soccer coach in the world.
3. Three for these three results in Italy: Hellas Verona, a promoted side that sits in 18th place, blanked Gennaro Gattuso side’s Milan’s 3-0. Inter lost to 11th placed Udinese 3-1. And Lazio drew with Atalanta 3-3. Lazio was down 2-0 after 22 minutes, this game is quite up there for the most entertaining match of the weekend. Don’t be shy, go ahead and watch the highlights.
2. Mohammed Salah was a player Chelsea sent on loan two years ago. Now he’s the Premier League’s top scorer with a two-goal gap over Harry Kane and is the second fastest player to reach 20 goals for Liverpool, doing so in 26 matches. The Egyptian tallied 20 goals for the Reds faster than Luis Suarez and Fernando Torres.
1. One for the best player in England so far this season: Manchester City attacking midfielder Kevin de Brunye who has been putting top class performances in City’s midfield week in and week out. The Belgian leads the league in assists tallying eight and has netted six goals, including one against Tottenham last weekend. City fullback Benjamin Mendy agrees that his teammate is the current best player in England. How do we know? Mendy kissed de Bruyne in a press conference after the team’s game against Tottenham on Saturday.
Author: Onz Chery