In a brand new weekly column written by Onz Chery, the Daily Soccer Digest brings you a must-read recap of European soccer, strictly by the numbers. Count down with us as we roundup European soccer’s sizzling comeback from the FIFA international break. It was a cranking weekend as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid played to a scoreless Madrid Derby draw, Sampdoria shocked Juventus, Stuttgart put a dent in Dortmund’s campaign and Arsenal topped Spurs in England’s mouth-watering North London Derby.
The Serie A fans however had the best of it all as Roma played Lazio and Napoli hosted Milan. We start this week’s European Soccer Weekend Recap Countdown in Italy with “numero dieci”…
10. Roma earned their 10th win of the Serie A season with a 2-1 win over Lazio in the Derby della Capitale as Diego Perotti and Radja Nainggolan both netted for Roma. League top scorer Ciro Immobile pulled one back for Lazio in the 90th minute with his 15th goal of the season.
9. Mohamed Salah is the Premier League’s new top scorer with nine goals. Salah scored a brace against Southampton in a 3-0 win to hop over Romelu Lukaku, Harry Kane, Alvaro Morata, Gabriel Jesus, Sergio Aguero who are all tied with eight goals. Those strikers won’t be eating salad this week.
8. Juventus didn’t lose any of their last eight games against Sampdoria before last weekend, outscoring them 18-6. Well, Sampdoria had a 3-0 win over Juve all the way to the 89th minute. The Italian champions fought for a comeback, scoring two goals in the 90th minute through Paulo Dybala and Gonzalo Higuain but they ran out of time. 3-2 win for Sampdoria. Duvan Zapata, Lucas Torreira and Gian Marco Ferrari netted for the Genova-based club.
7. Cristiano Ronaldo, AKA CR7, equaled Atletico Madrid’s number of shots, seven, but was unable to find the net as the Madrid Derby ended 0-0. Surprisingly, it was Ronaldo’s seventh La Liga scoreless match this campaign. Los Colchoneros’ number seven Antoine Griezmann is also struggling to score in Spain, not having scored a goal in eight games.
6. Serie A leaders Napoli extended their unbeaten run against Milan to six games by inflicting the former Italian giants their sixth league loss of the season with a 2-1 win on Saturday.
5. Arsenal racked their fifth clean sheet in domestic action this season in a 2-0 win over Tottenham in the North London Derby. A clean sheet against Harry Kane, Dele Alli and Christian Eriksen in a derby? This is surely in Arsene Wenger’s top five favorite PL clean sheet of the season so far. Alexis Sanchez and Shkodran Mustafi scored for the Gunners.
4. Borussia Dortmund is on a four competitive game losing streak. Yes, you heard right, Borussia Dortmund is on a four game losing streak. The Ballspielverein Borussia 09 e.V. Dortmund. They lost to 11th placed Stuttgart 2-1. Chadrac Akolo and Josip Brekalo netted for Stuggart while Maxmilian Philip scored BVB’s lone goal. Borussia star striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang didn’t travel to the game. The club suspended him for “disciplinary reasons.”
3. Barcelona blanked Leganes 3-0, thanks to Luis Suarez’s double and Paulinho’s 90th minute goal. Suarez broke a three-league game goal drought.
2. Edinson Cavani bagged his second consecutive brace in Ligue 1 in Paris Saint-Germain’s 4-1 win over Nantes. Angel Di Maria and Javier Pastore scored PSG’s remaining two goals. Prejuce Noukalme netted Nantes solitary goal. Kylian Mbappe didn’t play. Head coach Unai Emery said he left him out because "he has played a lot of matches, including with the [French] national team” and he wanted to rotate his players. It was PSG’s notable attacking trio’s second consecutive game with one missing striker.
1. Sweden number one goal scorer Zlatan Ibrahimovic came back from a six and a half month absence due to a possible career ending knee injury in Manchester United’s 4-1 win over Newcastle United. Ibra didn’t score but hit a wicked bicycle kick on target. When asked how he was able to return to the pitch so quickly after such a serious injury, Zlatan replied "Lions don't recover like humans." Classic Zlatan... In the win Anthony Martial, Chris Smalling, Paul Pogba and Lukaku were on target for United.