The final international break before Christmas is in the books, which means the gameweeks will be coming thick and fast for the rest of the year in Fantasy Premier League! Our friends at Armchair Fancast – the new weekly podcast discussing all the latest happenings from the Premier League – have their top five picks for who should be in your team this coming weekend. Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes here, and follow them on Twitter here!
- Julian Speroni (CRY, £4.0): An Everton team with only two away goals to their name all season are the visitors to Selhurst Park this weekend, while Palace have looked much more solid since shifting to a 4-4-2 formation, meaning a clean sheet is a real possibility. Speroni has established himself between the sticks during the last four weeks, and is a great choice given his low price. Palace also have a very forgiving run of fixtures ahead, making him an even more attractive option in goal.
- Stephen Ward (BUR, £4.9): Want to know how Burnley have risen to 7th in the league? Simply look at the number of goals they have conceded – fewer than anyone outside the top three. Their defenders are among the very best in terms of cost per point, and they face a Swansea team for whom a shot on target has been a rarity away from home, let alone a goal. Ward already has a goal and an assist this season, making him a slightly more favourable pick than teammate Ben Mee.
- Phil Jones (MUN, £5.5): United’s next three games are against Newcastle, Brighton and Watford – a great chance for them to add to their eight clean sheets in eleven games so far – the best defensive record in the league. Jones is the obvious choice from Mourinho’s back line given his price, but one word of warning: he missed England’s game with Brazil on Tuesday due to a minor calf injury, so it’s worth checking on his status as late as possible before committing to him. If he’s out, splash the cash on Valencia instead!
- Mohamed Salah (LIV, £9.4): Liverpool are another team whose fixture list is too tempting to ignore – a home game with Chelsea next week is their only tough-looking game until Christmas week. This week they look to maintain their recent improved form when they host Southampton, and Salah will be looking to add to the 7 goals and 3 assists he has already chalked up this season. He’s increasingly looking like the signing of the summer.
- Joshua King (BOU, £7.0): Another injury risk here, as King is looking to shake off a bad back in time for Saturday’s home game against Huddersfield. If he does, there could be plenty of opportunities awaiting him in front of goal – the visitors have conceded five times in their last two matches away from home. Bournemouth are yet another team with a solid run of games ahead: after this week it’s Swansea, Burnley, Southampton and Palace. So if he looks likely to play, pick King as he’s their best prospect up top. Otherwise consider Jermain Defoe or the cheaper Callum Wilson.